State Street SSGM CIO in Boston, Massachusetts
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are essential to our continued success.
Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential infuses our company values. It’s also part of our commitment to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. Join us.
State Street is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability.
The Chief Information Officer’s role is to provide leadership for developing and implementing business and strategic technology initiatives for Global Markets. The Chief Information Officer directs the local planning, prioritization, and implementation of Business and Enterprise IT systems in support of Global Markets business operations in order to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and business mission development. This individual is responsible to Global Markets leadership and the Global CIO to ensure continuity between business strategy/operations and STT’s Global Technology Services (GTS) efforts.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in strategic and Technology operational governance processes of SSGM as well as GTS.
- Represent IT strategic and operational planning to achieve SSGM and GTS goals by fostering collaboration, prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future IT systems across the region.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate organizational structure that supports the needs of the business.
- Establish GTS goals, objectives, and operating procedures.
- Identify opportunities for the appropriate and cost-effective investment of financial resources in IT systems and resources, including staffing, sourcing, purchasing, and development.
- Manage, assess and communicate risks associated with Business and IT change activities.
- Develop, track, and manage the information technology annual operating and capital budgets.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for Business IT spending and initiatives.
Development, Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate and facilitate consultation with SSGM and GTS stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations.
- Approve, prioritize, and manage projects and the project portfolio as they relate to the, development, and implementation of major business or information systems initiatives.
- Define and communicate corporate plans, policies, and standards for the local organization for acquiring, implementing, and operating IT systems.
- Manage, monitor and ensure continuous delivery of quality IT services through oversight of intra-group and third party service level agreements with SSGM.
- Ensure IT system operation and data management practices adhere to applicable laws and regulations.
- Establish lines of control and reporting for current and proposed information systems and services.
- Keep current with trends and issues in the IT industry, including current technologies and prices. Advise, counsel, and educate executives and management on their competitive or financial impact.
- Promote and oversee strategic relationships between local IT resources, central GTS and external entities.
- Jointly supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all technology staff in accordance with corporate performance, budgetary objectives and personnel policies.
- Demonstrate the ‘Risk Excellence’ culture in your behavior
- Maintain a detailed understanding of :
- The scope of the role’s managerial responsibilities
- The competence of the staff reporting to you
- Ensure that your team has clear understanding of their reporting lines, authority levels, scope of responsibilities (including those delegated to them and those they delegate), objectives, training and competency requirements plus progress is reviewed regularly in line with Company policy, and are regulatory registered where appropriate for their role
- Develop effective working relationships and communications with staff and ensure that staff are motivated, developed and supported.
- Establish and monitor systems of control, delegated authority and escalation procedures so that the business complies with internal policies and external regulations and can be managed effectively
- Adhere to the delegation and oversight (management information and escalation) framework in the performance of daily tasks. This includes taking proactive action to ensure there is adequate production of management information that is fits for purpose, and issues are raised as appropriate
- Establish and monitor an effective delegation framework to ensure that tasks are performed by staff members with appropriate capacity and authority level (based on knowledge, skills and competence).
- Establish and monitor an effective oversight framework to ensure that issues are appropriately identified, escalated and resolved. This includes: a) ensuring that appropriate management information is received, considered and challenged as appropriate at intervals proportionate to the risks; and b) that staff members have clear understanding of the escalation path/principles
- Establish and nurture a culture of ‘Risk Excellence’ within the team, encourage an environment of openness that welcomes effective challenge and supports open discussion.
- Ensure that you make reasonable decisions by exercising reasonable care when considering information available to you. This includes taking proactive action to ensure that the information you have is suitable and adequate.
- Establish and nurture a culture of individual ownership of tasks to embed a clear individual sense of accountability into staff members’ behaviour in performing their roles.
- Ensure that the highest level of the Code of Conduct is displayed in your own and staff behaviour.
- Knowledge of Capital Markets business
Location: US MA Boston
To apply to this position, follow the "apply now" link. To locate this position in our application page, please use the KEYWORD search functionality and insert either the State Street Job ID or the Location.
Job Title: SSGM CIO
Job ID: 165874
Full/Part Time: Full FTE