Harvard University Software Engineer Sr in Cambridge, Massachusetts
43091BRAuto req ID:43091BRLocation:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:DevOps Engineer LeadSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade:059Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Basic Qualifications:Candidates MUST meet basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role.
• 5+ years’ experience working as a DevOps Engineer
• Degree in computer science, computer information systems or mathematics and/or equivalent work experience is required. Additional Qualifications:
The following skills are preferred, but not required:
• Three or more years’ experience in the design and implementation of AWS architectures/environments.
• Deep knowledge of key AWS components such as CloudFormation, EC2, VPC, ELB, RDS, Route 53, CodeDeploy, S3, Direct Connect, Security Groups, CloudWatch.
• Demonstrated ability to architect and implement AWS solutions in environments with complex IP topologies and security requirements.
• Working knowledge of key AWS offerings such as
• Experience with creating infrastructure as code (CloudFormation, CLI, Shell, Python, Ruby, PowerShell)
• Skilled experience with build and release engineering including ability to design and develop automated deployment solutions
• Expert level scripting skills in the AWS environment.
• Familiarity with and ability to use standard development tools/environments like Eclipse and Git.
• Experience with the Atlassian toolset including JIRA and Confluence.
• Strong in-depth technical knowledge of operating systems, such as Windows and Linux.
• Solid working experience designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting web and application server software such as Apache and Weblogic
• Solid working experience with relational database systems such as Oracle in both production and non-production environments.
• Working knowledge of orchestration and configuration management tools like Jenkins, Ansible, Chef, and/or Puppet
• Experience with system monitoring and log aggregation tools, such as Nagios, Splunk and GrayLog.
• Experience developing and working with Disaster Recovery procedures is highly desired
• Experience with writing code using Python or any other language is highly desired.
• Experience using performance testing tools such as HP Performance Center is a plus.
• Experience with Project Management, ITIL, and Agile processes and principles is highly desired
• This position requires providing 24x7 on-call support for production systems supported by the HUIT DevOps team. This position also requires keeping up with emerging technology and trends with respect to Cloud technologies and supporting tools and systems.
• Motivate, coordinate and lead a technical team and be accountable for their deliverables including conducting quality assurance reviews and ensuring solutions are scalable, reliable and secure.
• Maintain an attitude of ultimate accountability for the success of the solution.
• Ability to negotiate and influence management to adopt a solution.
• Ability to collaborate across a number of teams.
• Ability to deliver clear and effective communications, both written and verbal, to managers, peers, and customers
• Ability to translate functional needs into technical solutions
Continued in additional information section....
Additional Information:Additional Qualifications, continued:
• Formulate clear decisions to project challenges
• Excellent technical and analytical problem solving skills
• Ability to manage time effectively and manage multiple assignments and priorities
• Plan and coordinate software deployments with stakeholders, release managers, and infrastructure personnel.
• Recommend and establish standards, guidelines, and procedures for design and maintenance.
• Demonstrated ability to plan a solution and define the path to its delivery.
• Demonstrated ability to write documentation that explains complex technical concepts.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with business partners.
• Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new tools based on conceptual understanding of technology and translate the tools’ capabilities to a business audience.
• Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
• Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
• This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) to assure Harvard’s leadership in IT!
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To make it easier for students, faculty and staff to learn, research, teach, and work through the effective deployment and use of information technology.
• OpenDepartment:DMSPre-Employment Screening:Credit, Criminal, IdentityJob Function:Information Technology Duties & Responsibilities:Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
The DevOps Lead Engineer provides direction and support for infrastructure, applications, and database components for Cloud Application systems.
The Dev Ops Lead Engineer will be an integral member of the Data Management Services team within Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT). The position will work closely with each of our Services teams to lead, transform, and grow the infrastructure we need to advance data integration, exchange, and reporting services to the University. The position will direct and coordinate infrastructure enhancements and support with other HUIT colleagues.
We are seeking someone with experience working as a DevOps Engineer supporting applications and infrastructure. You will assist with application integration and troubleshooting in this complex application environment, including management of dependencies on services, platforms, and other applications. The role requires a well-organized, action-oriented team player with the ability to prioritize daily work, change directions quickly, and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
School/Unit:Harvard University Information Technology EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.