Sallie Mae Front End Software Engineer in Newton, Massachusetts
Front End Software Engineer
Req ID R01230
About Sallie Mae:
We are a consumer bank focused on creating new products and best in class experiences through technology, building on our history of helping students and their families save, plan, and pay for college. Our CEO's mantra is simple.... Best in Class. As a developer what 3 words would you rather hear? Just a small sample of tech we use: Clojure/Clojurescript Reagent/React, AWS Lambda, Microsoft Azure, Swift, .NET Core, MongoDB, Apache Kafka.
What tech are you going to help us leverage to deliver this Best in Class experience? We are open minded, customer driven.
Do you have experience with modern web stacks? Are you familiar with or keen on learning functional programming? Have you architected modular front-end solutions? We're always looking for and exploring new tools and technologies to find the best fit for the problem at hand, and now we are seeking ambitious software professionals to engineer our next generation products, platforms, and frameworks.
- You understand the importance of selecting the right technology tool for the task.
- You are a natural problem solver. You ask why, you explore, and you thrive on challenges.
- You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness.
- You feel empowered to make a difference.
We're seeking someone who is super passionate about their craft and is hyper-focused on delivering extraordinary solutions. Is this you?
Here are the Basics:
- Design, build, and test web applications
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Manage the risks associated with information and IT assets through standards and security policies but not let that limit your creativity
- Work with the architecture team on development of new subsystems for our evolving digital platform
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participating and mentoring in the technology community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 0+ years in web-based application development
- 0+ years experience working within product development teams
- Functional programming experience (particularly Clojure/ClojureScript)
- Good understanding of RESTful APIs, Web Services, Websockets, Web Sockets and experience working with backend developers to design and consume them.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new tools, frameworks, and languages.
- Comfortable with quickly addressing changing or new product needs to help seize business opportunities
- Ability to clearly communicate design decisions and trade-offs.
- Passion for writing clean, maintainable code with tests and automation.
- Regularly perform code reviews
- Enjoy refactoring.
- Natural inclination to collaborate
- Desire to make a difference
- Experience in full stack development
- Practical experience with one or more front-end frameworks: Angular, Ember, Backbone, React,
- Exposure/experience with both SQL and No-SQL data stores
- Exposure/experience with Git or a similar version control system
- Exposure/experience with AWS, Azure or similar cloud service providers
- Contributions to open source community
- Experience with an iterative development methodology (i.e. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe) and techniques for sustaining rapid release cycles (i.e. TDD, BDD)
EEO Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America. Sallie Mae is a drug free workplace.
Location Newton, MA
Date Posted May 5, 2017