Bentley University Academic and Web Technologist in Waltham, Massachusetts
Department: Academic Technology Center
Summary of Position:
The ideal candidate will assist faculty in all aspects of courseware development and in the identification, selection and integration of appropriate instructional, research and web and research technologies as well as managing the work of student staff hired to help develop and implement web application projects. He or she will work primarily with faculty to determine the best use of technology in a given disciplinary area for both research projects and integration into the curriculum. He or she will also be responsible for using UX design principles for designing, enhancing, and implementing a diverse set of academic websites including but not limited to department website, Bentley’s Online Learning web presence, the Bentley Library website and its corresponding catalog site. Knowledge of project management is strongly preferred.
- Assist faculty in the selection and integration of appropriate instructional, research and web and research technologies by implementing web-based tools and applications. Includes identifying, evaluating, selecting, and implementing appropriate web-based and off-the-shelf instructional and research technologies.
- Research, test, implement, and write tutorials for business applications used for instruction or research. Design and deliver technology workshops to faculty.
- Assist with the ongoing planning, development, and implementation of an institution-wide information architecture to support academic technology initiatives. Includes working with Director of Academic Technology, Director of Library and department chairs to identify, cultivate, and implement Web-based and other electronic resources by discipline area.
- Professional Development: expand knowledge and stay current in research databases and academic technologies appropriate to a business university.
- Take advantage of UX design principles and modern web technologies to design and implement innovative web sites that improve usability and user satisfaction, including working with 3rd party API to integrate with existing systems and create new websites.
- Create user experience deliverables including wireframes, sitemaps, interaction flows, storyboards, paper prototypes and usability testing reports.
- Recruit and manage 1-2 students to perform technical tasks, including Web development and technical assistance. Supervise all aspects of student employment including, hiring, scheduling, and assessment as well as provide direction for programming and sound UX and instructional design.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer information systems, instructional design, educational technology, or related field required. -3+ years of working with web technology platforms (preferably in an academic setting working with faculty).
- Must have broad experience in the selection, development, and use of instructional technology, especially that used in a business school environment.
- Broad technical skills, and experience in the selection, development, and use of instructional and research technologies (hardware and software) is required.
- A background with business and technology is helpful, as are any technical certifications. and research mission.
- Experience with public speaking and conducting workshops or training sessions is a must. This role requires strategic thinking, innovative ideas, analytical/problem-solving skills; decision-making, sophisticated communication and team-building skills, design talent, a fundamental understanding of Internet technology, and a strong comfort level with technical concepts. Strong visual, verbal, and written communications skills is must. Familiarity with the architecture and standard practices of web application deployment (e.g. web server environments, database servers, web standards such as XHTML, CSS, etc.)
Project Management Skills
2+ years college-level teaching experience in a business school environment
Master’s degree in business administration, information design, or education technology
Posting #: FY181P1393
Bentley University requires reference checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.