Instrumentation Laboratory - Bedford R&D Manager - Systems Engineering in Bedford, Massachusetts
Our Passion. Your Results.
Founded in 1959, Instrumentation Laboratory (IL) is a global leader in the development, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic solutions for Acute Care Diagnostics, patient blood management and Hemostasis testing. Our success comes from a specific focus in these rapidly evolving diagnostic areas, our commitment to customers, and our dedication to innovation and quality. We’re passionate about providing medical professionals the most valuable and complete solutions to enhance patient care.
As an integral part of Werfen, a global healthcare company dedicated to delivering the highest quality in vitro diagnostic products, IL is supported by significant resources, outstanding scientific expertise and a tremendous knowledge base. IL is headquartered in Bedford, MA, USA.
Functional management position responsible for engineering activities an entire Functional Group. The position involves management and development of a staff of technical professionals, ensuring projects are staffed adequately and in alignment with corporate objectives. Additional requirements include the ability to drive business results and capability to act as an ambassador of the Werfen culture and values. Will interface and coordinate work activities with Project Management, and other departments such as Software, Analytical, Quality, Service, and Marketing.
• Acts as Functional Manager of engineering and/or technical staff for an entire Functional Group.
• Oversees development and maintenance of staff’s skill and competence.
• Plans and supports professional development of direct reports. Monitors and determines staff training needs.
• Monitors performance of direct reports.
• Hires, disciplines, or discharges human resources in accordance with company policy.
• Suggests, implements, and maintains Function's objectives and initiatives.
• Develops and manages Function’s budget(s).
• Monitors and ensures that adequate personnel, equipment, and material resources are available to meet project milestones across multiple programs. Independently plans and suggests future needs for programs.
• Reviews Function’s schedule(s) for assigned projects. Tracks metrics for assigned projects to monitor development time to aid in the creation of predictable schedules. Provides contingency plans for identified conflicts. Incorporates lessons learned from past projects.
• Partners with Project Management to ensure that the Function's activities are planned, performed and prioritized in alignment with corporate goals and objectives.
• Provides technical support to lead or provides staff for investigations in support of development and/or on-market activities.
• Assigns, directs, and evaluates technical work. Provides technical guidance to direct reports. Responsible for the quality of deliverables from within the Function.
• Understands relevant industry trends and best practices. Adopts & institutes new processes or technologies.
• Champions, promotes, and practices robust design practices.
• Effectively communicates technical information to multidisciplinary teams in the form of documentation, presentations and technical summaries.
• Identifies product defects and recognizes outliers in results. Able to explain and document product defects and their impact.
• May act as technical advisor or lead the resolution of complex technical issues.
• May be assigned CAPA ownership.
• May participate with top management in long-range company planning concerning new or projected areas of technical research or advancements.
• May define and communicate engineering strategy & roadmap for the Function.
Budget Managed (if applicable)
Internal Networking/Key Relationships
To be determined based on department needs, to include interactions such as:
• Project Management
Skills & Capabilities:
The ideal candidate for this position will exhibit the following skills and capabilities:
• Root Cause Analysis, Creative Problem Solving, Critical Thinking
• Technical capability and confidence
• Accountability, Decision Making, Influence, Communication
• Coaching & Mentoring
Werfen People Manager Competencies: (applicable if in a People Manager Position)
The following competencies form part of the competency model for People Manager at Werfen and form part of our mindset around People Management and Leadership. We expect all People Managers of Werfen not only to demonstrate, but also to constantly continue to develop, the following competencies:
Building Talent: Planning and supporting the development of individuals’ knowledge, skills, and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job responsibilities more effectively.
Customer Focus: Ensuring that the internal or external customer’s perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities, crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
Decision Making: Identifying and understanding problems and opportunities by gathering, analyzing, and interpreting quantitative and qualitative information; choosing the best course of action by establishing clear decision criteria, generating and evaluating alternatives, and making timely decisions; taking action that is consistent with available facts and constraints and optimizes probable consequences.
Driving for Results: Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals; tenaciously working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
Driving Innovation: Creating an environment (culture) that inspires people to generate novel solutions with measurable value for existing and potential customers (internal or external) ; encouraging experimentation with new ways to solve work problems and seize opportunities that result in unique and differentiated solutions.
Emotional Intelligence Essentials: Establishing and sustaining trusting relationships by accurately perceiving and interpreting own and others’ emotions and behavior; leveraging insights to effectively manage own responses so that one’s behavior matches one’s values and delivers intended results.
Minimum Knowledge & Experience Required:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science or related field.
o Eight to ten years of product development experience, depending on degree
o Six years of experience in Functional Management
o For internal candidate promotion: Demonstrated proficiency in meeting all competencies of current level and acceptable performance history may be used in lieu of experience
o In vitro medical experience highly desirable
• Additional Skills/Knowledge:
o Language: Proficiency in English language required
Up to 10% of time
If you are interested in constantly learning and being challenged on a daily basis we encourage you to submit your resume or CV.
Instrumentation Laboratory appreciates and values diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Werfen is a global leader in in vitro diagnostics (IVD) in the specialities of Hemostasis, Acute Care Diagnostics and Autoimmunity. Our core business is dedicated to R&D, manufacturing and distribution of diagnostic systems for hospitals and clinical laboratories. Our other areas of expertise include Original Equipment Manufacturing, Clinical Software, Clinical Chemistry, Infusion Therapy, and Medical Devices and Scientific Instrumentation Distribution.
We operate directly in over 30 countries and in more than 100 territories through distributors. In 2016, our turnover was approximately 1.2 billion euros and we had an average workforce of 4,400 people. Currently, we are over 5,000 employees.
Job ID: 2021-4145
Shift: Not Applicable
Street: 180 Hartwell Road