The MITRE Corporation Senior System and Mission Engineer in Bedford, Massachusetts
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The System and Mission Analysis Department is charged with identifying, developing and applying new technologies that can address the Government's most challenging Systems Engineering problems.
We provide innovative, practical solutions for some of our nation's most critical challenges in defense and intelligence (https://www.mitre.org/centers/national-security-and-engineering-center/who-we-are) , aviation (https://www.mitre.org/centers/center-for-advanced-aviation-system-development/who-we-are) , civil systems (https://www.mitre.org/centers/center-for-enterprise-modernization/who-we-are) , homeland security (https://www.mitre.org/centers/homeland-security-systems-engineering-and-development-institute/who-we-are) , the judiciary (https://www.mitre.org/centers/judiciary-engineering-and-modernization-center/who-we-are) , healthcare (https://www.mitre.org/centers/cms-alliances-to-modernize-healthcare/who-we-are) , and cybersecurity (https://www.mitre.org/centers/national-cybersecurity-ffrdc/who-we-are) .
This is an opportunity for Systems Engineers who are highly motivated, innovative and self-directed. This position provides challenging opportunities to apply and expand one’s systems architecture, modeling and tradespace analysis skills.
Specific areas of interest include Mission Engineering, Systems of Systems, architecture modeling, analysis of complex systems, modeling and simulation, and decision support. The only limitation is your imagination!
Day to day responsibilities:
As a Senior System and Mission Engineer, you will have the opportunity to leverage and grow your systems engineering expertise by:
• Modeling architectures of complex systems using standards-based languages (ex. SysML).
• Evaluating and comparing alternative architectures using qualitative and quantitative techniques; exploring large tradespaces.
• Articulating major uncertainties associated with systems architectures, defining risks and opportunities associated with the uncertainties.
• Translating analysis results into actionable recommendations for the US Government agencies.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or relevant technical discipline.
• 5 + years related Systems Engineering experience
• Must be a US citizen capable of obtaining and maintaining a US government clearance
• Demonstrated knowledge of systems architecture and systems design and development. Understanding of modern systems engineering methods.
• Experience with multi-disciplinary modeling and simulation (physics-level, engineering-level and/or operational-level).
• Interest in complex multi-disciplinary problems.
• Project-based team work experience.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ingenuity for applying a set of technical skills across multiple subject matter domains such as healthcare and defense.
• Advanced degree in Systems/Industrial/Aerospace Engineering or other technical fields with a focus on multi-disciplinary issues.
• Preference given to qualified candidates with active clearance
• Proficiency in one or more of the programming languages for quantitative analyses (ex. MATLAB, Mathematica, Python, R).
• Knowledge of Analysis of Alternatives, Verification and Validation, Design of Experiments and data analytics.
• Object-oriented programming skills.
•• Knowledge of and interest in Applied Mathematics.
This requisition requires the following clearance(s):
MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual identity, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status.
MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE’s employment process, please contact MITRE’s Recruiting Help Line at 703-983-8226 or email at email@example.com.
Copyright © 1997-2021, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only.
At MITRE, we solve problems for a safer world. Through our federally funded R&D centers and public-private partnerships, we work across government to tackle challenges to the safety, stability, and well-being of our nation. As a not-for-profit organization, MITRE works in the public interest across federal, state and local governments, as well as industry and academia. We bring innovative ideas into existence in areas as varied as artificial intelligence, intuitive data science, quantum information science, health informatics, space security, policy and economic expertise, trustworthy autonomy, cyber threat sharing, and cyber resilience.
The MITRE Corporation
- The MITRE Corporation Jobs