Amazon Web Services Hardware Development Engineer - Storage, Storage Platform Development in Boston, Massachusetts
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon’s innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our Hardware Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality server platforms and components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. We are seeking experienced Hardware Design Engineers to build the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we’re handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies.
What you will do: As a member of the Storage Hardware Engineering team you will be responsible for the design of our storage platforms and AWS specific hardware components. You will interact with engineers across the company, and work with an interdisciplinary team to execute product designs from concept to production including design, development, validation, and the successful implementation of your work at large scale. You’ll provide leadership in the application of new technologies to large scale server deployments in a continuous effort to deliver a world-class customer experience. This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You’ll have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality and cost. We’re changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
We are looking for an engineer to lead the development of products utilizing a wide range of design and manufacturing partners. You will manage these supplier’s activities to design, test, certify, manufacture, integrate into final product SKUs and deploy to data centers around the world. You will know the intricate details of these designs and handle inter-supplier communication as needed.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for hardware customizations that will directly benefit AWS customers. Amazon has thousands of unique services, both big and small that power the Retail website (Amazon.com), Amazon Web Services, Kindle, Amazon Instant Video and more. These services run on hardware around the world. We continually need to deploy newer, innovative, and more efficient and cost effective hardware. Your work will drive efficiency and significant cost savings while improving the performance and reliability of our websites and services. Your work will touch development teams and customers around the world.
Why you will love it: You will work directly with engineers across the company to build next-generation hardware. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our customers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering or related field.
· 2+ years of experience in hardware design and development.
· Master’s degree or higher in Computer or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
· 5+ years of experience in storage and/or server platform design and architecture for large scale applications.
· Hands-on hardware design and debug experience with HDD/SSD based storage systems.
· Deep expertise with one or more of the following protocol stacks including block storage (NVMe, SAS/SATA), networking (Ethernet, TCP/IP) and interfaces (PCIe, I2C, ONFI, DDR).
· Experience with technical project management as well as design and manufacturing processes, and leading ODMs and other suppliers.
· Hands on experience with shell scripting (e.g. Python), database queries (e.g. SQL)
· Experience with server/storage platform technologies such as: power optimization, board design, thermal, mechanical, BIOS, BMC, signal integrity, networking.
· Deep experience in developing functional specifications, design verification plans, and function test procedures demonstrating rigorous testing practices and design process flows.
· Strong organizational, planning, and project management skills.
· Experience with deploying and operating hardware and Cloud applications across large data centers within infrastructure constraints.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Web Services Jobs