MassMutual Financial Group Head of Data Science Software Engineering in Boston, Massachusetts
Since 1851, MassMutual’s commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We’re people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we’re stronger.
We are seeking an exceptional individual to lead and manage a team of software
engineers in the Data Science group. The successful candidate will lead and expand a
team building software that enables data-driven decision making across the enterprise.
This software will complement and enhance predictive models, process automation, and
experiments driving significant value and impact. The members of the team will work
closely with data scientists, product managers, data engineers, and business
stakeholders to understand needs and develop and deploy robust solutions.
● Lead validation, enhancement, and routing
● Marketing automation
● Development of novel actuarial tools
● Large scale machine learning deployment platform
● Applications for the evaluation and improvement of investment performance
● Attract, retain, and develop exceptional talent within the Data Science Software
● Establish and enhance robust software development practices, including test
driven development, continuous integration and deployment
● Collaborate to develop and maintain standards and best practices for product
development and support
● Independently lead complex projects in an ambiguous environment producing
robust, production-ready software
● Collaborate closely with product and project managers, data scientists, data
analysts, data engineers, and business stakeholders
● Be a thought leader internally and externally by developing open source
software, participating in research, speaking at conferences, etc.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent quantitative field.
● 10+ years developing software systems, with at least 5 years developing in
Python. Experience with Java, C++, and/or Scala strongly preferred.
● Demonstrated success in leading a team of engineers
● Exceptional object-oriented and functional coding skills
● Exceptional understanding of algorithms and data structures
● Exceptional communication and influencing skills
● Extensive experience with Spark and distributed data processing and
● Experience in AWS cloud technologies and stack.
● Experience writing solid unit and regression tests, and debugging in collaboration
with a large software development team
● Experience working with relational databases, specifically Postgres and Vertica
● Experience using containers such as Docker, docker-machine and
docker-compose a plus
● Strong understanding and practice of Agile software development process
● Masters or PhD in Computer Science, or equivalent quantitative field.
● Experience with R
● Knowledge of Machine Learning
● Experience working in a DevOps model
Ranked No. 93 in the annual FORTUNE ® 500 Ranking (FORTUNE ® Magazine, June 2018) and recognized as a World’s Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.
Focus on the Customer: We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy.
Act with Integrity: We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.
Value People: We respect and learn from each other’s diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential.
Work Collaboratively: We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand.
Achieve Results: We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better – everyone, every day.
For more information, visit www.massmutual.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Instagram and Pinterest.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
At MassMutual, we’re fostering an inclusive and dynamic environment where our employees are valued for who they are and can build successful careers. For us, diversity and inclusion is more than a goal, it’s the only way forward.
• 100% rating on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index (2018)
• National Association for Female Executives Top Company for Executive Women (2018)
• Disability Equality Index® (DEI) Best Place to Work for Disability inclusion (2018)
• Working Mother Media 100 Best Company (2017)
• Military Friendly Employer (2018)