Verisk Principal Software Engineer in Boston, Massachusetts
This is a key hire for our development group and so to be successful in this role you will have excellent technical vision and leadership, the ability to drive technical decision making a history of delivering software on time.
· Lead a culture of product development where solving problems for our customers is the highest priority.
· Act as, and be seen as a technical authority within engineering teams
· Identify emerging technologies or applications and the opportunities to integrate them into our operations and activities
· Ensure engineers are supported and challenged to do valuable work
· Build trust and confidence, and develop cross-departmental relationships
· Identify recruitment requirements and actively participate in the recruitment process.
· Strong data engineering foundation gained in developing commercial applications with traditional (Oracle, SQL, Postgres, etc) and NOSQL databases (Elasticsearch, Neo4, MongoDB, etc) and streaming data (Kafka)
· Strong software development foundation gained in a senior engineering role with proven experience in systems development at scale
· Proven experience in conceptualising, documenting, and developing customer-facing products and applications
· Hands on expertise with agile methodologies and comprehensive understanding of modern patterns and practices
· Expert level knowledge of multiple technology stacks, object-oriented design approaches and enterprise design patterns
· Solid knowledge of modern enterprise and cloud architectures (e.g. microservices, serverless, event driven, reactive) and containerization methodologies.
· Comfortable with managing technical debt and working with legacy codebases
· Hands on experience with application optimisation, scaling and security. Particularly caching strategies, and large-scale distributed computing
· Proven knowledge of continuous delivery and approaches to continuous integration
You will have the opportunity to drive technical direction, architecture, design and implementation of this new product line.
· Lead implementation and delivery ensuring coding, unit testing, system integration, defect resolution, and technical documentation adheres to our standards
· Consistently demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills, initiative and drive
· Responsible for the overall technical quality of project deliverables
· Proactively identify problems with requirements and communicates these issues early to help course-correct
· Assist in troubleshooting and support efforts for existing systems and applications, focused on improving our existing systems and applications
· Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
· Promote shared ownership of code though code reviews, standards and documentation
· Participate in the definition and implementation of the engineering team roadmap.
· Measurable improvements to the team’s output and the adoption of best practices and standards.
· Holding yourself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and expecting the same of co-workers.
· Work in collaboration with team members to perform scoping, estimation and technology feasibility tasks for the intended solution
· Manage dependencies among engineering activities and constantly monitor, assess and control the technical execution
· Address technical queries and elicit, prioritize, and negotiate changes to requirements and defects
· Present tech talks on design and architecture decisions, approaches and best practices
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice