State of Massachusetts Software Architect - Applications in Boston, Massachusetts
The Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs seeks to protect, preserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s environmental resources while ensuring and promoting a clean energy future for the state’s residents. Through the stewardship of open space, protection of environmental resources, and enhancement of clean energy, the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs works tirelessly to make Massachusetts a wonderful place to live, work, and raise a family.
_Who We Serve_
Massachusetts was the first state in the nation to combine energy and environmental agencies under one Cabinet secretary. The Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EOEEA) serves Commonwealth residents interested in outdoor recreational activities, clean energy solutions and those who work with animals and livestock. Equally, EOEEA works with energy consumers, power companies, clean energy providers and farmers to delicately balance the interaction with environmental protection laws and regulations while being a cornerstone for our economic prosperity.
Under the direction of the Secretariat Chief Information Officer, the mission of the information technology department is to ensure the Commonwealth a secure, reliable, robust, efficient, and highly adaptable collection of digital and infrastructure services through applied technology, engineering, and transformational investments.
_Job Description Summary:_
We are seeking a talented Software Architect to join our Applied Technology and Development group within our IT organization at theExecutive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. The Software Architect will be a key new role within our agile development team, architecting enterprise software systems and services using Microsoft platforms, industry leading provider solutions and AWS cloud services. The Software Architect must possess broad and deep technical knowledge and will provide technical leadership to not only continue expanding cloud base enterprise infrastructures, but also transform legacy systems to fit into the global enterprise vision. The Software Architect will provide holistic, unified architectural approaches and vision for software design and implementation to guide the development team.
Provide subject matter expertise around technical infrastructure and application design, with attention to system integration and feasibility
Define technical implementation of business use cases, including guidance related to functional and non-functional requirements, workflow, coding standards, and oversight for consistency with initial design
Design EEA’s digital strategy and roadmap for the user experience (UX), and help prototype, guide, and develop the solution from launch to market
Apply expertise with cloud-based services and platforms, preferably AWS and/or Azure
Demonstrate technical leadership in cloud computing across multiple channels and become a trusted advisor to decision makers
Lead software development projects and critical incident assessments during crisis
Work with business users, project managers, and technical leads on all phases of SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) following agile methodologies
Create and maintain documentation throughout all aspects of the EEA application roadmap and technology architecture, including a comprehensive application inventory
Coach and mentor junior team members and experienced development teams alike, encouraging project teams to think creatively, motivating through innovation
Research developing and appropriate technologies/platforms/tools that fit into our Commonwealth enterprise vision and application roadmap
Apply expertise to lead initiatives across Microsoft platforms, including .NET and .NET Core frameworks
Perform critical root cause analysis on application process failures to quickly resolve product or service failure
Perform security vulnerability assessment on legacy applications and recommend strategic investments to improve, retire, and/or replace
Provide architectural blueprints for the development team, through holistic assessment of our current state and strategic recommendations for value-added improvements
Evaluate and recommend technologies, processes, framework, and tools to ensure a high quality product platform and IT solutions
Successfully communicate the guidelines and concepts of the development team
Assist in recruiting, developing, and retaining top project team technical talent, including contracted vendor relationships
_Required knowledge, skills and abilities:_
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferably a Master’s Degree, in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field of study
• 10 years of software development experience
• 5 years of hands on experience working with variety of technology systems
• 4 years architecting enterprise software solutions
• 4 years of enterprise RESTful services such as .NET Web API platform
• 3 years of Front End development with Single Page Application platforms such as Angular
• Proven ability to manage, coach and mentor 3 individuals within a cross functional environment
• Experience with Access Management, Authentication/Authorization, and Identity Federation
• Experience designing and implementing API service architecture in a hosted/cloud environment
• Experience with cloud-based services including micro-services
• Working knowledge of ITIL change management framework and the relationship to application SLAs
• Broad and extensive knowledge of the software development process (SDLC) and its technologies
• Strong background in transforming legacy applications into modern systems and platforms
• Strong knowledge of architectural styles and design patterns
• Understanding of various coding methods and computer languages
• Strong in Object Oriented Design and Component Based Design
• Demonstrable and proven data modeling and database design experience
• Strong working knowledge of Agile (Scrum, Kanban) methodologies
• Proven background in transforming legacy applications into modern systems and platforms
_Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities:_
• Ability to apply a proven security-first approach when developing an application technology strategy
• Possess and apply exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills
• Highly organized, with great attention to detail
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and ability to make strategic decisions
• Able to work independently or direct technical staff with a collaborative, hands-on approach
• Able to lead, inspire, motivate and deliver to the job at hand
_MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:_
Applicants must have at least (A) five (5) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, administrative, supervisory, or managerial experience in business administration, business management, public administration, public management, clinical administration or clinical management of which (B) at least one (1) year must have been in a project management, supervisory or managerial capacity or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
I. A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required (A) experience.
II. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required (A) experience.
III. A Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3) years of the required (A) experience.
IV. A Doctorate degree in a related field may be substituted for four (4) years of the required (A) experience.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Information Systems and Technology
Organization: *Exec Office Of Energy and Environmental Affairs
Title: Software Architect - Applications
Location: Massachusetts-Boston-1 Winter Street
Requisition ID: 190004YP