VMware Staff Software Engineer - MultiCloud - Opportunity for Working Remotely in Boston, Massachusetts
Staff Software Engineer: CloudHealth MultiCloud Engineering Team
CloudHealth by VMware is the global market leader in Cloud Management, and the most trusted software platform used to accelerate business transformation in the cloud. CloudHealth by VMware is looking for highly motivated individuals who will be responsible for providing outstanding customer service to ensure that customers, partners, and employees have a positive experience getting onboarding and ongoing training from CloudHealth.
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You have an analytical mind and a passion for the craft of software engineering, and you love solving problems and learning new things. Technologies come and go, but that excites you because of the endless possibilities it creates. You are looking for an opportunity to work for a company whose software is utilized by every Fortune 500 company and significantly impacts every industry. You want to be a part of a collaborative environment whose teams care about the product they are creating, how they create it, and the impact it has on customers’ business objectives.
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
Our cloud teams are responsible for the architecture, design, and implementation of features and functionality for cloud verticals (AWS, Azure, GCP, OCI, etc.). The CloudHealth platform manages data from multiple cloud providers in support of our 18,000+ customers. Our cloud teams are developing the capabilities that have allowed us to support the world’s largest cloud consumers and reach over $12 billion cloud spend under management annually.
This team is leveraging the latest technologies to build the features our customers use to integrate with and manage their public and hybrid cloud costs, operations, security, and governance. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment that moves at the speed of the cloud, and love solving problems at scale in a rapidly expanding 24/7 SaaS environment, this team is for you!
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
· You will be expected to produce software designs that deliver the CloudHealth multi-cloud roadmap and vision. These interfaces must meet VMware and industry standards and provide a consistent programming model across multiple cloud domains and programming languages.
· You will define and develop APIs (REST and GraphQL) and UIs that allow our customers to have visibility into and management of their cloud infrastructure (SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS). You will also deliver automated tests to ensure high quality releases, and you will work with the documentation team to ensure features are documented and understood both internally and externally.
· You will be expected to become an expert in your cloud’s domain, and our customers needs. You will work with internal business advisors and field teams, and with representatives from the cloud provider to ensure a strong partnership, and an understanding of current and upcoming features.
· You will be responsible for designing and delivering the supporting infrastructure functions to deliver your solutions at cloud-scale, including features such as usage tracking, throttling, monitoring and alerting.
· You will be regularly evaluated on the quality of the product you create and the code you write to ensure continued advancement of your technical skills in an environment that looks to expand them.
· You’ll work with architects and other cloud teams to ensure features are built in a consistent, reusable, and as much as possible - a generic, cloud-agnostic way.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As a new member of a cloud team, you will:
· Lead development of features and functionality for integration with and management of our customers infrastructure in leading and emerging public and hybrid clouds
· Work with the team and product management to take a lead role in building delivery requirements
· Write technical design documents and hold reviews
· Participate in all team scrum ceremonies
· Develop and maintain software that delivers on the team’s objectives primarily in Java, Scala, Ruby, and TypeScript/React
· Participate in our on-call rotation, providing operational support to our platform
· Communicate with internal consumers of the team’s software and gather requirements and facilitate adoption of your solutions
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Software Engineering for our multi-cloud teams. The team is a mix of levels from recent college grads through senior engineers. We focus on iterative development, both of software and our software development practices.
You will be a part of a team that works hard and plays hard. We have a passion for making our customers successful, and a deep understanding of their needs. We have a relentless dedication to building quality software and driving growth for CloudHealth and VMware. This is a great opportunity to work with leading-edge technologies, experiment with new ways to build software, and build products that are relied upon by the world’s largest cloud consumers.
· Bachelor of Science degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science or a related field minimum, Master of Science degree desired.
· 8+ years’ experience writing commercial software
· Java/Scala/Ruby experience, and a willingness to learn new technologies and languages
· Experience building and operating software in a SaaS environment
· Understanding of the public cloud domain
· Experience with relational and NoSQL databases
· Experience with RESTful and/or GraphQL APIs
· Experience with AWS services, like S3 and DynamoDB
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-03-17
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
- VMware Jobs