Smithsonian Institution Astrophysicist (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow) in Cambridge, Massachusetts
This is the position of Astrophysicist (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow) in the High Energy Astrophysics Division.
Learn more about this agency
The purpose of the position is to conduct a specified program of scientific research and scholarship in the area of observational constraints to AGN / host galaxy interaction and feedback in disk galaxies, using high resolution Chandra observations together with Hubble and multi-wavelength ground based data as appropriate. The aim of the analysis is to understand the interaction of the AGN with the host galaxy cold ISM, to set observational constraints on physical processes, and energy and momentum transfer. The results of the data analysis will be compared with state of the art simulations and theoretical predictions in the literature.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Conduct a program of research and scholarship in the area of AGN / host galaxy interaction and feedback under the supervision and direction of the Principal Investigator
- Assists in the development of software and procedures of the reduction, analysis and interpretation of data as needed; or assists in the development of analytical methods and/or software to model physical processes and conditions; or assists in the development of scientific instrumentation for the collection of data, as needed.
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which engaged, for example prepare papers for publication in scientific journals, prepare and present findings at scientific meetings, as required.
- Support, as required, the development of proposals for research funding.
- Engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of your research group, School and Institute.
- Mentor and assist, as appropriate and as directed, the research graduate students in your area of research.
Occasional travel - To attend meetings and conferences
- #### Job family (Series)
1330 Astronomy And Space Science
Conditions of Employment
- May be required to complete Pre and Post appointment background check
- Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer required for salary payment
- First consideration may be made 14 days after the opening date.
Applicants must meet the basic qualification requirements as described in the Office of Personnel Management's Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions. These standards may be viewed at the following address on the web at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/IORs/gs1300/1330.htm.
A. Degree: in one or a combination of astronomy, physics, mathematics, space science, or electronics. The course work must have included differential and integral calculus and 12 semester hours in astronomy and/or physics. OR
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 30 semester hours of courses equivalent to a major in any combination of astronomy, space science, physics, mathematics, and electronics, with required course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below:
* Grade 11:*
Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the grade 09 that should demonstrate professional research experience in astrophysics and the ability to interpret data obtained from facilities and knowledge of computing techniques for the acquisition, analysis and interpretation of observational data.
C. A combination of successfully completed graduate level education and experience equivalent to the above.
The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses. The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required; and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the criteria associated with this position as defined below
Knowledge of the technical methods, principles and practices of the field of X-ray astronomy data analysis, both spatial and spectral; data visualization; and statistical analyses.
Knowledge of data reduction and analysis techniques applicable to Chandra, Hubble and astronomy data in general.
Ability to utilize computer technology in the solution of scientific problems.
Ability to perform scientific research as may be evidenced by receipt of a Ph.D.
Ability to work effectively as part of a research group or scientific team.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
Detailed resume or CV and bibliography
Names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references
School transcripts or degree certificate
Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable
Summary of research interests (1-2 pages)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
Click on the "Apply Online" button on the upper right side of the page. If you do not have a social security number please contact the point of contact listed for information.Please Note:
- You must apply for this position online through the 'Apply Online' button.
- Faxes are received by an automated system, not a physical fax machine. Documents that are faxed as part of the application process must be sent with the system generated cover sheet by the closing date. Documents faxed without the system generated coversheet are not retrievable and cannot be considered as part of the application package.
- Clicking the "DONE" tab does not submit your application. The "DONE" tab allows you to exit the system and save your information for completion at a later time. To submit your application, click the "FINISH" tab.
- The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
Agency contact information
SMITHSONIAN Human Resources 60 Garden Street Cambridge, MA 02138 Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 United States
Learn more about this agency
You will receive an e-mail to acknowledge that your application has been received. Please be aware that the confirmation e-mail could reside in your "junk" or "bulk" mail folder depending on your filters.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510966900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/14/2018 to 01/31/2019
Pay scale & grade: IS 11
Salary: $67,643 to $87,940 per year
Appointment type: Temporary - Not To Exceed Three Years
Work schedule: Full-Time - Trust Fund. This is not a federal position.