Harvard University IT Help/Support (N) in Cambridge, Massachusetts
47280BRAuto req ID:47280BRJob Code:405016 IT Help/Support (N) Location:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:Technical Support EngineerSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade:056Time Status:Full-time Union:55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree along with 1 year of hands-on information technology experience OR a high school diploma and 2 years of hands-on information technology experience.
Required Technical Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Gained through Experience or Education:
- 1+ years of experience with Mac, Windows, desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet, printer and Microsoft Office support in a service desk and field support environment.
Non-Technical Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Exceptional customer service orientation
Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
Communicate technical topics to non-technical personnel
Work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Exercise patience and professionalism in stressful situations with customers and team members
Be fully productive while working independently and with minimal supervision
Prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
Maintain and protect sensitive information
Experience in a higher-education environment is desirable, but a fresh perspective is also welcome
Technical Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Gained through Experience or Education:
Network communication protocols, including IP addressing, DHCP, DNS and web protocols
Virus and malware protection, detection and removal on all platforms
Data backup technologies and services
PC and Mac hardware components, troubleshooting, repairs and upgrades
Printer hardware components, troubleshooting and repair
Usage of multiple types of peripherals and accessories
Wireless and wired networking
Preferred Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
ServiceNow or other incident management support tracking / incident management platform
Cisco WebEx Support Center or other remote support tools
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator or other endpoint and software encryption tools
Microsoft Active Directory
Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Requirement within 180 days of start date:
Completion of Harvard IT Academy’s “Intro to IT Service Management” class or IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundations certification
Completion of Harvard IT Academy’s “Service Mindset” level 1 class
Completion of Harvard IT Academy’s “Trusted Advisor” level 1 class
Completion of Harvard IT Academy’s “Information Security Foundations” level 1 class
Apple Certified Mac Technician (ACMT) certification
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Must be able to perform the essential responsibilities of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
Required to move about within the School and University
Reach with hands and arms
Frequent use of hands for data entry / keystrokes and simple grasping
Required to lift, and move up to 50 pounds of equipment using available moving tools
Moderate noise level, which includes customer and team member conversations within a small office environment
Must be able to work remotely in the event of business continuity plan activation due to events at the School or University.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Department:Information TechnologyPre-Employment Screening:Education, IdentitySchedule:Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday-Friday. This position is 7 hours day, Monday - Friday and as part of the support team the Tech support Engineer participates in rotating shifts between the hours of operation. Occasional overtime is required as needed.Job Function:Information Technology Duties & Responsibilities:
The Technical Support Engineer, as part of the front-facing customer support team within a thirty-three member IT department, provides the technical expertise and assistance necessary to intake and resolve customer issues to minimize downtime and quickly provide IT services for HKS faculty, staff, fellows, students and alumni to get their work done in support of the mission of the School.
• Represent the IT department as a customer-focused, results-oriented, and proactive partner to support the efficient and effective use of technology across the School and the University.
• Maintain outstanding and positive customer relations.
• Provide IT Service Center, tier 1 technical support (chat, email, phone, remote and walk-up support services) to HKS faculty, staff, fellows, students and alumni.
• Provide field, tier 2 technical support to HKS faculty, staff and fellows.
• Document, communicate and follow up on all incidents and requests via the support incident management ticket platform (ServiceNow).
• Escalate and follow up on tickets requiring resolution by other members or groups, and serve as owner of these tickets through to resolution.
• Resolve tickets as quickly as possible while ensuring delivery of required services and the highest level of customer service.
• Maintain uptime of all student public computing and printing areas for daily operational activities.
• Configure, manage and troubleshoot all HKS-managed computer endpoint protection through encryption and virus / malware protection.
• Assist with training and development of co-op student employees.
• Assist with the new computer deployment process, which includes unpacking, configuring, and setting up new computers for faculty, staff and fellows.
• Collaborate as a team member on cross-functional groups, issues and projects within IT.
• Contribute to the IT department’s knowledge management system by creating articles, which are technically sound and well written for others to quickly use to resolve issues.
• Participate in technical and process discussions and analyses to define new ideas and approaches for improving the delivery of IT support services.
• Take personal initiative towards professional development to maintain technical skills and knowledge to continue to effectively support and advise customers.
School/Unit:Harvard Kennedy School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.