Astellas Pharma Senior Scientist in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Senior Scientist opportunity in Cambridge, MA.
Purpose & Scope of Position:
Astellas Innovation and Incubation Research Laboratory is a newly launched development company located in a state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the Cambridge biomedical ecosystem.
We are looking for an innovative and energetic scientist to establish and define technical objectives of programs, plan the execution of efforts and perform experiments to meet objectives. The incumbent will apply expertise and breadth of knowledge to ongoing research and development of new project proposals. Plans and directs laboratory Research and Development activities by assessing underlying technical and conceptual risks and defining approaches and methodologies which are innovative and creative in order to achieve goals. Initiates projects that have risk such as development of novel technologies or application of individual expertise to new areas. Maintains broad knowledge of state of the art principles and theory. Takes leadership role contributing to scientific literature and conferences and builds respect within the company.
Join our team and assist us in developing biological systems that will become future platforms from which novel therapies will be identified. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the relevance between retro-element RNA and pathogenesis such as cancer, autoimmune and chronic inflammatory disease.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Performs research and/or development which target pathological RNA homeostasis disorders (stability change by modification, splicing abnormality and endogenous retro virus activation)
- Makes detailed observations analyzes data and interprets results
- Exercises technical discretion in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project goals
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement
- Maintains high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature and novel technologies
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways
- Work in collaboration with Astellas R&D, CROs, consultants and academia
- Maintain guidelines for lab supplies, instruments, lab data records, and lab safety
This position interacts with all levels of management on a routine basis and influences strategy. Works on complex and diverse problems giving guidance and suggestions. Actions may have implications on operations, budget and/or credibility.
- We are seeking a PhD level scientist with 5+, MS with 7, or BS with 10 years' experience in drug discovery, biotechnology, or academic leadership
- Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement, as evidenced by publications in high impact journals or drug development portfolio
- Ability to collaborate with external partners across multiple scientific disciplines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development