IBM Site Reliability Engineer in CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts
The infrastructure running industries likes transportation, energy, insurance, banking or healthcare is quickly changing as the world’s relationship with technology evolves. Companies have more choices than ever before between on-premise, off-premise, or a hybrid approach. Our Infrastructure Specialists are responsible for keeping up with these latest and greatest of these changes and using their expertise to deliver solutions that meet the needs of our customers and products.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM maintains the largest corporate network in the world and it is highly critical to the success of our business. The CIO Network Engineering organization is looking for highly skilled and motivated individuals to further improve our network resiliency, quality, diversify our technology stack and embrace next generation networking. These changes will enable faster, smarter decision-making and deliver speed to value. The network engineering tools and automation squads are focused on driving automation, analytics and tooling into the greater organization to give the operation and deployment visibility and insights into the operations of the global network.
We’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Site Reliability Engineers take a different approach it comes to hosting and managing infrastructure, services, and applications. We approach this as a software problem instead of as an operations problem. Applying software engineering practices to hosting and managing enables our services to better adapt to all types of changes and failure scenarios. To help us accomplish this approach we use the latest techniques, practices and technology from the industry while hosting large-scale mission critical infrastructure. Some of the techniques, practices, and technology we use are: Docker, IaaS, PaaS, ChatOps, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Deployment, DevOps, and Immutable Infrastructure. We strive to keep learning and improving, and we work to share the knowledge we have learned throughout IBM.
Our project is a highly visible connectivity layer between IBM and the Cloud, used by many groups and service providers in IBM to connect their internal and cloud based assets and users. We are not just building a highly automated build process with regression testing, monitoring and deployment promotion, but also a service that customers can also use within their own DevOps pipeline to deploy their cloud solutions.
This is an important technical role that will require participation in an evolving culture, designed to deliver software solutions from different teams into a continually available environment. Ultimately, your work will decide if code drops are ready to deploy to production and help ensure that, if a deployment fails, that it “fails small and recovers quickly”.
· Design and Implement automated solutions for rolling out our teams applications from test to stage to production
· Extend the DevOps tools we have with custom written models, to adapt them to specific team needs
· Drive requirements for our team's code base to made continuous deployment easier, and help implement those requirements
Must have the ability to work in the US without current/future need for IBM sponsorship
A day in the life at IBM
· Throughout the day, you will collaborate with your teammates and interact with our product owners – all while being based out of our Cambridge, MA office.
· Participate and/or lead in our lunch and learn sessions.
· Take a break and have fun by participating with other IBM’ers in collaborative video games.
· Take advantage of our exercise room, which includes cardio and weights.
· Work in an open environment where creativity is welcome and encouraged.
· Staying relevant to emerging trends in areas related to DevOps and Cloud.
· Seek recognition by attaining such awards as “Extremely Smart Person” and “Meritorious Coding before Caffeine.”
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
· At least 3 plus years of experience in troubleshooting complex systems, including operating systems, networks and application code.
· At least 3 plus years of experience in software development experience in at least one modern language such as Python or Java.
· Demonstrated experience with Automation, DevOps, Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment technologies. (E.g. Ansible, Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes)
· Demonstrated experience developing an enterprise system with automated deployment
· Knowledge of UNIX/Linux systems.
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
· Experience with SCM systems like Git.
· Strong background in network management and diagnostics.
· Basic security knowledge.
· Database knowledge including SQL and NoSQL.
· 1-year experience with the Linux CLI.
· 1-year experience with Docker; building and deploying containers.
· Working knowledge and/or experience with the Agile methodologies.
About Business Unit
The IBM Finance organization is responsible for driving enterprise performance and transformation. We are the financial stewards of IBM, delivering IBM’s financial strategy, developing new business models, and mitigating enterprise risk. Do you have a passion for creating business value? Join our team in accounting, financial planning, pricing, business controls, tax, treasury, business development (acquisitions & divestitures), and global financing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
- IBM Jobs