City of Cambridge System Administrator Level I in Cambridge, Massachusetts
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reports to the City Clerk and is responsible for evaluating the current operations in the City Clerk's Office. The City Clerk is the official record keeper of the City of Cambridge records for vial records (births, marriages, domestic partnership, death), City Council records, business and professional certificates. The System Administrator will work with staff to review procedures, identify improvements to procedures and customer service with the use of information technology and implement improvements. Work includes assisting customers with requests for vital records, work with historic records and City Council records and indices.
Specifically, duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage and evaluate systems and workflow, identify and implement improvements to the functions of the City Clerk's Office, with particular focus on new technologies and equipment.
- Recommend and manage system implementations, upgrades and improvements.
- Coordinate the implementation of selected projects and programs including staff training.
- Provide information, referral and technical assistant to City Clerk's Office with IT and Finance.
- Create, maintain and provide regular updates to information pertaining to the City Clerk's Office, its functions, related databases and create manuals for the current systems.
- Create an inventory of all City records held in the possession of the City Clerk's Office.
- Update, maintain and coordinate with IT on the City Clerk's website.
- Interface with the State Department of Public Health on the state VIP program for births and deaths.
- Post external hearings on the City Calendar under the Open Meeting Law.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the City Clerk and/or Deputy City Clerk.
- Responsible for posting the City Council agenda and recording City Council/Committee hearings, if needed.
- Responsible for upgrades, backups, troubleshooting and resolving system problems.
- Provide support to department technical users.
- Works with the Database Administrator and other Systems Administrators.
Three to five years' experience in providing technical support, testing and implementation of computer information systems and automated processes. Proven experience in system administration and implementation of software and/or hardware projects. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, required. Demonstrated documentation and troubleshooting skills. Ability to work in a team environment and handle multiple tasks. Experience with vital records or records management preferred.
PREFERRED: BS in Information Technology or practical work in a City Clerk environment or related area.
*PHYSICAL DEMANDS: *Ability to access, input, retrieve and manage information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level, which can elevate with phone calls and walk in members of the public.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest no later than 8pm on the closing date via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept., Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax (617) 349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Department: City Clerk's Office
Job Title: System Administrator Level I
Job Code: M320-707
Civil Service Position: Non Civil Service position
Union Affiliation: None
Hours Per Week: 37.5 hours per week. Monday 8:30 AM-8 PM; Tuesday-Thursday 8:30 AM-5PM; Friday 8:30 AM-Noon.
POSTING DATE: June 13, 2018
CLOSING DATE: July 2, 2018
RATE: 85,248 - $100,976 annually + excellent benefits (7/1/18 salary will increase by 2.5%)