Harvard University Systems Engineer in Cambridge, Massachusetts
54740BRAuto req ID:54740BRJob Code:I0458P IT Info Security Professnl IV Location:USA - MA - Cambridge Business Title:Systems EngineerSub-Unit:------------ Salary Grade (https://hr.harvard.edu/salary-ranges#ranges) :058Time Status:Full-time Union:00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Additional Qualifications and Skills:
Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, advanced Excel skills
Familiarity with information security concepts, relevant tools and standards
Knowledge of advanced information security principles
Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor Real-world experience designing, implementing, and deploying secure cloud-native services and environments.
Experience with using infrastructure-as-code to automate and manage systems and environments.
Demonstrated experience with cybersecurity fundamentals.
• 5+ years’ experience supporting enterprise UNIX/Linux infrastructure.
• Significant experience deploying and managing cloud infrastructure and services, preferably Azure and AWS.
• Significant scripting experience using Python, Bash/shell, Perl, PowerShell, or other scripting languages.
• Significant experience in automation and configuration management tools, preferably Ansible.
• Basic experience with system monitoring tools, preferably LogicMonitor.
• Basic experience deploying to Code Version Control, preferably Git.
• Basic experience with secure software design.
• Familiarity deploying or developing for the Drupal CMS.
• Familiarity with log aggregation tools, preferably Splunk.
• Familiarity with relational and /or NoSQL databases, preferably MySQL.
• Self-motivated; able to work independently; able to quickly learn new technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask and adjust to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
• Strong diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor to both internal and external customers
• Background in higher education is desirable, however, a fresh perspective is also welcome. Additional Information:
We regret that the Harvard Kennedy School does not provide Visa Sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment references and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Please note: During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with transition to onsite in Cambridge, Massachusetts when the office reopens.
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and lifting of restrictions. We appre ciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Salary Range: $77,400 - 132,400
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate's relevant experience, and internal equity.
Harvard Kennedy School’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At Harvard Kennedy School, fostering a diverse and inclusive community where everyone feels they belong is a matter of basic fairness consistent with our core values as an institution. It is also essential to our mission of improving public policy and leadership—because recruiting the best people and creating an environment where they can thrive make us better at what we do, because we learn more from people with different perspectives, and because we work in diverse groups and serve diverse societies.
Learn more about Harvard Kennedy School’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
Harvard offers a generous benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Department:Information TechnologyPre-Employment Screening:Criminal, IdentityJob Function:Information Technology School/Unit:Harvard Kennedy School EEO Statement:We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.Typical Core Duties:
Review or perform complex procedures necessary to ensure the safety of information and to protect systems from intentional or inadvertent access, modification, disruption or destruction
Recognize and identify potential areas where existing data security policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed (firewalls, intrusion detection, vulnerability scanning, host operating systems, and network devices)
Perform or contribute to risk assessments
Maintain awareness of emerging threats and trends within Information Security
Provide community stakeholders and management with security risk assessments and security briefings to advise them of issues that may affect business outcomes
Advise unit/school on questions in support of processes
Act as a trusted advisor to clients/staff
Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT Code of Conduct
- Minimum of five years’ experience post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Certificates and Licenses:
Completion of Harvard IT Academy Information Security Foundations course (or external equivalent) preferred
IT Security Certification preferred; e.g., CISSP, CISA/CISM, and/or GIAC
- Work is performed in an office setting
• Continuously enhance and modernize all aspects of the infrastructure to take advantage of new technologies and cloud-native capabilities.
• Execute efficient troubleshooting methodology and utilize analytical thinking to address issues (simple and complex) and communicate findings, recommendations, and solutions in a clear and concise manner.
• Act as the primary technical contact and administrator for cloud-based websites (Drupal), including managing vendor relationship with serverless CMS hosting (Pantheon).
• Design, build, configure, automate, and document Linux-based systems and services.
• Monitor, troubleshoot, automate, and optimize OS, virtualization, and application performance.
• Manage and develop configuration as code for system provisioning, patching, and change management (Ansible, AWS CloudFormation, Azure ARM).
• Ensure compliance with security best practices and consider security implications of systems changes.
• Provide Tier 3 application support across all Linux-based services in our portfolio including, but not limited to:
• Mailing Lists (GNU Mailman)
• SMTP Mail forwarders (Postfix)
• Web Crawlers (Scrapy)
• Search Indexes (Apache Solr)
• Work on cross-functional teams to develop new service offerings and extend existing infrastructure.
• Develop tools/scripts/integrations to automate and streamline day-to-day tasks and processes.
• Participate in an on-call rotation.
• Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT Code of Conduct (https://huit.harvard.edu/it-professional-code-conduct-protect-electronic-information).