Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, Operations Support (Network) in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
This position is responsible for operating support and maintenance of the Energy Management System (EMS) applications including: SCADA and Real-Time Network Applications, including: State Estimator (SE), Real Time Contingency Analysis (RTCA), Power Flow and Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS) software. Maintains complex computer simulation software used for analyses in support of system adequacy evaluations, technical analysis of system reliability during equipment outages and monitoring/evaluating the reliability of the electric system on a real time basis. Support will include SCADA and network modeling using data engineering tools and diagnosing model and data quality issues impacting the SCADA/EMS applications. Responsibilities include responding to day-to-day needs of control room staff and other end users. The support provided is to include defining and maintaining the supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) databases and application and maintain the accurate information in the EMS for operations use. Critical part of support responsibilities will include diagnosing and debugging applications and real-time databases that impact system availability. The eECS is a mission-critical system responsible for monitoring and controlling the transmission and distribution electric power systems.
- Creates and maintains the Electric System models used by EMS and DTS application software.
- Monitors and maintains EMS software to ensure a high level of state estimator convergence.
- Develops, validates and maintains realistic power system modeling of internal and external systems used by the EMS Network Applications.
- Develops and produces reports documenting EMS software performance.
- Coordinates EMS updates and improvements with EMS support and vendor staff to ensure the functionality and the availability of the EMS is maintained.
- Coordinates with ISO-NE and other control centers to exchange electric system model information and resolve operating problems.
- Represents the Company on various ISO-NE Task Forces or Committees as assigned.
- Supports the creation and operation of Dispatcher training scenarios used on the DTS.
- Creates and supports programs to train Dispatchers in the use of EMS applications.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance on the EMS Advanced Applications to new Control Center operations personnel and trainers.
- Develops methods using EMS applications to monitor and report discrepancies between system telemetry and EMS solutions to improve the accuracy of system telemetry.
- Supports Dispatcher’s use of EMS applications to evaluate and schedule electric system equipment outages.
- Understands, interprets and applies industry and corporate transmission planning standards and the regulations of federal, state and local authorities.
- Works with Engineers in System Planning, Transmission Asset Strategy, and Engineers and operating personnel elsewhere in the Company in performing analyses and providing technical support for operating issues.
- Develops operational and emergency action plans for electric transmission system and bulk supply substations which support the distribution system.
- Participates in on-call rotation as required to support operations department and maintain high EMS availability.
- The functions above represent the specific duties performed but do not exclude additional work assignments not listed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Power System Engineering.
- Knowledge of Transmission System Operations.
- Knowledge of Advanced Power System Applications such as Power Flow/State Estimator/Contingency Analysis.
- Knowledge of power system network modeling techniques and maintenance of power system network analysis software.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to EMS and SCADA systems.
- Advanced skill level in SCADA and advanced applications software.
- Advanced skill in reading and interpreting diagrams and prints.
- Skill in analyzing and solving complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with peers, teams, users, managers and vendors.
- Self-motivated and have the desire to stay abreast of latest SCADA/EMS technologies relating to power system operations and control.
- Detailed understanding of NERC reliability and cyber security (CIP) standards.
- Requires demonstrated skill in power systems analysis; technical understanding of the parameters and functions of the operation of the power delivery system and of power system theory and skill in working with advanced electric system modeling software, such as State Estimator and Power Flow applications.
- Proficiency with Windows operating system and MS Windows applications is required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering with Power Systems emphasis required.
- Master of Science in Power Systems is strongly preferred.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience and technical proficiency in supporting SCADA/EMS systems.
- Familiarity with power system components and their database models; power system modeling and advanced application functions on an Energy Management System is highly desirable.
Preferred Experience :
- Strong preference with experience in supporting SCADA/EMS systems.
- Specific experience and skills with supporting the GE/ALSTOM e-terra platform components.
- GE/Alstom advanced applications (RTNET, STNET, RTCA, etc.).
- GE/Alstom Habitat and database modeling environment, e-terrasource modeler.
- GE/Alstom e-terrabrowser and WebFG Builder or Substation Display Editor.
- Data Acquisition knowledge and protocols used in SCADA/EMS systems for power system operation and control.
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignments as required.
- Must be available to travel occasionally between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- It is a requirement that supporting the SCADA/EMS real-time operation could include serving on an on-call rotation during non-business hours.
- Ability to balance competing and high priority work demands.
- This position will require at times to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment and be able to establish and maintain effective working relations with peers, teams, users, managers and vendors.
- Skill in meeting deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and balance competing, and high priority work demands.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs