Dell Advanced Development Manager - SW Engineering in Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Advance Development Manager - Software Engineering
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and the technology we provide transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We recognize that over 100,000 employees across six continents have different interests and aspirations. We inspire, challenge and respect each and every one of them, every day.
The Chief Technology & Innovation Office (CTIO) sits at the crossroads of technology strategy, research, innovation, and advanced development. We strive to be influential across the breadth of the Dell ISG portfolio and work hand in hand with all product organizations. The opportunity to impact our customers and the industry is a core focus for us.
What you’ll achieve
The role of the CTIO Dojo Manager of Software Engineering is to lead a team of software developers on new technology initiatives in a fast paced, collaborative environment adopting the efficiencies of a Lean Agile process. An ideal candidate will need to have experience collaborating with leadership, product management, and architecture teams to execute on technology development using an agile fast fail mentality. A highly collaborative mindset is necessary to ensure the dots can be connected between multiple workstreams in order to align the team on priorities. This position requires an accomplished leader who truly understands the value of an empowered team, enjoys guiding individual contributors on technical career paths, and thrives in a fast-paced, highly ambiguous environment. The candidate would value working as a team and can leverage the opinions and expertise of the team to deliver well designed, quality code. The candidate upholds this level of quality by adhering to test driven development practices and enabling the developer to work in pairs, employing an Extreme Programming (XP) style of execution designed to enforce shorter development and release cycles.
• Lead and develop a team of software engineers, managing the hiring, staffing and maintenance of a diverse and effective workforce and the career development and performance management of the team.
Provide leadership to a team of developers on day-to-day activities with accountability for those results. Projects will span multiple technological areas, including cloud-native infrastructure, machine learning, advanced data protection techniques, containers, microservices, open source software, M&O, and/or security.
Establish clear goals and objectives for the team that are aligned with Dell policies and standards.
Track progress towards the established goals with completion of tasks within the time and cost constraints while ensuring that technical and functional objectives are met.
• Develop and provide challenging yet appropriate assignments, evaluating the work, and communicating progress toward career development and goals.
Providing mentoring or enabling training, if necessary, to support the development of the assignments and goals.
Ensuring that the team has access to the resources needed to support the assignments and goals.
• Analyze and investigate application engineering tasks, and prepare design specifications, analysis and recommendations
• Develop solutions to difficult technical problems, which may require ingenuity and creativity
• Collaborate cross functionally with employees across the organization, voluntarily sharing information.
• Interface with senior management to report on project and program milestones and present project needs and technical knowledge
• Fostering a sense of team, teamwork and collaboration.
• Ability and Open Mindedness to quickly learn about new development methodologies and cutting-edge technologies in order to enable the team.
• Ability to mentor Junior Software Developers.
• Agile software development experience that enables shorter development iterations, fast feedback loops, and the quick deployment of problem-free code.
• Proficiency in documenting processes and monitoring performance metrics.
• May be accountable for managing a budget.
Take the first step towards your dream career
Every Dell Technologies team member brings something unique to the table. Here’s what we are looking for with this role:
• 8–12 years of software engineering experience, with 2+ years of managerial/leadership experience
• Self-Motivated, Enthusiastic, Energetic and Passionate about technology and leading a team
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
An ability to articulate technical vision while understanding business requirements, with the ability to constructively debate and collaborate with stakeholders and team members.
Experience working across cross-functional teams.
• Background of technical skills in software engineering processes, methodologies and delivery. Including:
Programming logic and patterns.
Modern, cloud-based software development tools, CI/CD Pipelines and development tool experience such as - Jira, Pivotal Tracker, Concourse, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes.
System performance and scaling, debugging, diagnosing and troubleshooting software.
Linux command line for system configuration and administration.
Streaming protocols, REST API development, and modern design patterns.
Hardware and software interactions.
Here’s our story; now tell us yours
Dell Technologies helps organizations and individuals build a brighter digital tomorrow. Our company is made up of more than 150,000 people, located in over 180 locations around the world. We’re proud to be a diverse and inclusive team and have an endless passion for our mission to drive human progress.
What’s most important to us is that you are respected, feel like you can be yourself and have the opportunity to do the best work of your life -- while still having a life. We offer excellent benefits, bonus programs, flexible work arrangements, a variety of career development opportunities, employee resource groups, and much more.
We started with computers, but we didn’t stop there. We are helping customers move into the future with multi-cloud, AI and machine learning through the most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era. Join us and become a part of what’s next in technology, starting today.
You can also learn more about us by reading our latest Diversity and Inclusion Report and our plan to make the world a better place by 2030 here (https://jobs.dell.com/diversity-and-inclusion) .
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Equal Employment Opportunity Policy here (https://jobs.dell.com/equal-employment-opportunity-policy-statement) .
- Dell Jobs