MIT Lincoln Laboratory Division IT Manager in Lexington, Massachusetts
Division 4 is seeking professional and experienced candidates for the Division Information Technology (IT) Manager position. The Division IT Manager plans, organizes, leads, directs and manages Division IT resources, making appropriate resource assignments to effectively and efficiently execute the day-to-day activities that drive business results across their respective Research Groups. This position will report to both the Division Business Manager for daily direction and the Laboratory Chief Information Officer (CIO) for compliance with Laboratory IT Policy and participation in shaping enterprise IT strategy. Candidate is single point of accountability for Division IT management and is responsible for IT personnel career development. The candidate will work with minimal supervision and those reporting to a Division IT Manager may be individual contributors or Team Leaders.
The Division IT Manager will be a member of a Laboratory-wide IT Governance body led by the CIO. This Governance body will assist in shaping Laboratory-wide IT Policy and IT strategy. In addition, this governance body will be instrumental in contributing to defining and implementing of best-of-breed technology and leading practices.
The Division IT Manager will work closely with the Information Services Department. They will work collaboratively to support all information services projects that will advance the Department, Technical Division and Lincoln Laboratory strategic missions.
The IT Manager will have demonstrated strong and effective analytical and decision making abilities, but will involve the Division Business Manager as appropriate when faced with a major decision. They continually evaluate and recommend changes to current and future Divisional IT needs.
Demonstrated an effective set of IT technical, management, leadership and relationship building skills is a must. This position will maintain frequent contact with internal department and/or Laboratory user community as well as external vendors to maintain communications related to problem resolution, strategy, services and product research.
Primary Duties are:
- Strategic Planning
• Participates in overall Laboratory IT strategy planning activities, bringing a current knowledge and future vision of infrastructure technology and systems best practices as related to the needs of the business.
• Establishes measurable IT goals that are aligned with Division/Department and Laboratory goals to enable mission success.
• Contributes to the development and implementation of the infrastructure strategy, architecture, service delivery standards and procedures across the enterprise.
- Operational Management
• Responsible and accountable to both the Division Business Manager and Laboratory CIO for the overall compliance posture of the assigned Technical Division.
• Responsible and accountable for oversight of all Division/Department IT resources.• Leads Division execution of best practices and enterprise efforts.
• Engages with ISD department peers to establish, implement and maintain appropriate IT controls for infrastructure administration.
• Proactively researches and recommends courses of action to prevent problems and to maintain high infrastructure service levels in congruence with ISD best practices.
• Maintains alignment with the Lab’s IT security infrastructure as it relates to the server and desktop areas.
• Contributes to the implementation of an operational framework including establishing metrics, key performance indicators and service level agreements for driving the performance of IT service delivery.
• Establishes and maintains regular day-to-day communications with ISD for reporting and operations.
Human Resource Management• Responsible for IT personnel career development within the Division.
• Provides motivational leadership for direct reports at all levels, from team leads to individual contributors, including performance planning and development support; coaching and mentoring; rewards and recognition; and staff retention to develop a continuous improvement culture.
• Identifies and maintains appropriate staffing levels and provides continuity through succession planning.
- Financial Management
• Consults on Divisional IT purchases to coordinate effective and efficient operations and investments.
- Technology Management
• Maintain knowledge of current industry standards and trends regarding server and desktop technology, IT security, and the organization’s business direction, to anticipate future infrastructure needs and identify proactive solutions to satisfy those needs.
• Participate in defining appropriate hardware and software standards to support the organization’s business requirements.
• Implement policies, procedures, and modifications as required to ensure the integrity of the overall IT infrastructure.
• Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and standards in support of all infrastructure procurement and development efforts in a coordinated manner across their assigned Division.
• Bachelor's Degree in computer science or business in combination with a minimum of 8 years significant, relevant work experience.• Degree can be substituted with additional 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Extensive hands-on experience executing large scale infrastructures, strong technical knowledge of operating systems, and knowledge o
f best practices in managing and optimizing networks.• Excellent business understanding related to organization goals and objectives • Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
• Leader with a track record of career accomplishments, continued growth and career success.• Strong working knowledge of project management
Preferred• Master’s Degree or other advance degree in computer science or business • Experience with DoD-related infrastructure, networks, and security
• 10+ years of information services experience, successful track record in an organization of similar size (3,000+ employees) and complexity.
• 6+ years of experience in leading and managing cross-functional teams and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders• Experience in conducting and directing research into IT issues and products
• Extensive experience working in team-oriented, collaborative environment and exceptional customer service orientation
• Extensive application support experience; proven experience in IT infrastructure planning and development
Ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance.
Occasional off-hour/on-call support is necessary. A certain degree of flexibility of schedule is required as some work (planned/unplanned) must be done outside of major production hours during pre-scheduled maintenance windows. This position requires an individual with excellent communication (both verbal and writing), organizational and analytical / problem-solving skills. The individual must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision and execute project and administrative tasks with a high degree of quality, while following existing processes and also establishing new operational procedures and best practices where necessary. Additionally, the position requires the ability to work with Laboratory staff members to achieve department and organizational goals.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information; U.S. citizenship is required.