Sallie Mae Director, Operational Risk - Client, Products & Business in Newton, Massachusetts
Director, Operational Risk - Client, Products & Business
Dulles - Sterling, VA
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine—whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills—you’re in the right place.
What You'll Contribute
The Director – Operational Risk is a member of the Operational Risk team reporting to the Senior Director Operational Risk. The Director will be responsible for supporting the development, maintenance, implementation and enhancement of the Operational Risk Control Framework and related deliverables, including Issues and OpEvent Management, Non-SoX Internal Controls Testing and the MARC. In doing so, the Director will be required to form an enterprise-wide perspective on the holistic integration of the Operational Risk Control Framework and other control functions including the 1 st Line of Defense, Internal Audit and Compliance. The Director may take on additional responsibilities at the direction of the Senior Director pertaining to operational risk. The Director will engage with business and process owners on a detailed and daily basis.
What You'll Do
% of Time Spent
• Supports the 1LoD in their risk management activities like the MARC or non-SoX internal Control Testing
• Supports the Senior Director Operational Risk for ensuring the effectiveness of the ERM Framework as well as the Operational Risk Control Framework
• Maintains and supports the further development of Company Documents, tools and methodologies related to operational risk management
• Executes or supports risk assessments of new products, processes, vendors etcetera
• Executes or supports on Issues and Operational Event Management
• Maintains or ensures proper maintenance of data contained in enterprise and operational risk modules in the GRC system
• Provides analysis, ad hoc research, and project support related to enterprise and operational risk, clients, products and business practices.
What You Have
Minimum: Indicate minimum education, skills and experience required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field such as Finance, Economics, Business Administration and/or equivalent relevant work experience.
• 7+ years of progressive experience in audit, legal, operational risk management or related fields; preference placed on prior Operational or Enterprise Risk Management experience.
• Extensive experience in development and maintenance of risk management policies, procedures and risk assessment processes to enable providing actionable insights related to the effectiveness of the current enterprise or internal control framework;
• A strong process orientation to enable a critical assessment of business process and procedure to identify potential risks and remediation;
• Strong knowledge of the external regulatory environment and the particular requirements for operating as a regulated banking entity; and
• Ability to develop and maintain effective partnerships with internal and external business contacts
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to challenge and influence business and risk partners;
• Ability to perform research regarding unfamiliar and complex topics and synthesize into recommendations
• Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to present complex data in a clear, concise, user-friendly format to all levels of audience.
• Proficient in MicroSoft applications
What You'll Get at Sallie Mae:
Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
Wellness : Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. EEO is the Law Supplement. Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.
- Sallie Mae Jobs