Sallie Mae Sr. Manager, Operational Risk in Newton, Massachusetts
Sr. Manager, Operational Risk
Dulles - Sterling, VA
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine—whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills—you’re in the right place.
What You'll Contribute
The Senior Manager of Operational Risk is a member of the Enterprise & Operational Risk team reporting to the Senior Director of Operational Risk. The Senior Manager will be supporting the further development and implementation of Sallie Mae’s Operational Risk Framework, including Issue/Operational Event Management, the MARC, Non-SoX Internal Controls Testing, Agile development engagement and targeted risk assessments. The Senior Manager may take on additional responsibilities at the direction of the Senior Director pertaining to Enterprise or Operational Risk. The Senior Manager will engage with business and process owners on a regular basis.
What You'll Do
% of Time Spent
• Supports the development and implementation and ongoing management of Sallie Mae’s risk management framework including Issues/Operational Event Management, the MARC, Non-SoX Internal Controls Testing, Agile development engagement and targeted risk assessments.
• Maintains the further development of Company Documents, tools and methodologies related to operational risk management.
• Manages agile engagements by Operational Risk.
• Manages the identification, documentation and escalation of risks.
• Develops, enhances and maintains risk reporting.
• Performs research regarding unfamiliar and complex topics and synthesizes into recommendations.
• Executes risk assessments of new products, processes, vendors etc.
• Provides analysis, ad hoc research, project support related to enterprise and operational risk, clients, products and business practices.
What You Have
Minimum: Indicate minimum education, skills and experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant study, economics or accounting or equivalent, relevant work experience.
• 6+ years of experience developing and/or working in risk management or assurance.
• Understanding of modern risk management methodologies, tools and approaches especially of enterprise risk.
• Ability to perform research regarding unfamiliar and complex topics.
• Experience in development and documenting risk management programs and policies.
• Knowledge of the external regulatory environment and the particular requirements for operating as a regulated banking entity.
• Well-developed oral and written communications skills with the ability to present complex data in a clear, concise, user-friendly format.
• Proficient in Microsoft applications.
Preferred: Indicate “nice to haves” regarding education, skills, and experience.
• Master’s degree or relevant professional certifications.
What You'll Get at Sallie Mae:
Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
Wellness : Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. EEO is the Law Supplement. Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.
- Sallie Mae Jobs