Sallie Mae Technical Project Manager in Newton, Massachusetts
Technical Project Manager
Newark - Continental, DE
Who we are:
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they imagine—whether that means helping them make college happen, or other endeavors they pursue to invest in their future. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills—you’re in the right place.
What You'll Contribute
The Strategy Realization Office (SRO) is a unique arm in the Office of the CIO which focuses on the strategic alignment of projects, value creation, and visibility into the benefit realization within Operational Plan outcomes. All of which is accomplished by strategic planning, collaboration, project management, data analysis, and storytelling. The SRO strives to accelerate business transformation by effectively aligning investments with business strategy.
A successful Technical Project Manager will be proficient in project planning, roadmap creation, cost benefit analysis, and, in some instances, full project execution. Retrospective and analysis of key projects will align with the SRO benefits realization efforts.
A Technical Project Manager in this role will work to understand and support company imperatives through collaborative benefit identification, measurement, and tracking project outcomes. The realization of benefits will allow better decisioning around corporate objectives going forward.
The right candidate will thrive on organizing, tracking, influencing, and motivating teams for successful delivery, while working to improve the company’s identification and realization of project benefits. Communication, team collaboration, organization and out of the box thinking will benefit the person in this role. Strong project management and story telling skills are key.
What You'll Do
% of Time Spent
• Enterprise level project management to include balancing timelines, roadmaps, milestones, risks, status and on occasion, implementation.
• Identifies, measures and tracks benefits by working with business owners, product managers, IT partners, and management.
• Creates high visibility story telling around how IT investments are enabling corporate outcomes and being able to articulate and manage the message when they are not.
• Holds strategy kickoff and planning sessions for enterprise level initiatives, communicating regularly with upper level management and executives.
• Collaborates with Lean Agile Leaders and the OCIO team to review, influence and update our processes around IT investment prioritization.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job; it is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in this role.
What You Need to Succeed
Being focused on our customer helps us to deliver a lasting impression and instill trust. Through collaboration and teamwork, we are able to communicate effectively across departments leading to better decision quality. We hold ourselves to the highest standards ensuring accountability in all we do to deliver on our mission and shared values.
What You Have
Minimum: Indicate minimum education, skills and experience required.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent related experience
• 5+ years’ experience in a Project Management role leading cross-functional projects
• Minimum of 3 years Agile experience
• Office 365 tool proficiency
• Microsoft Teams proficiency
• Excellent Communication Skills
• Adaptability within a fast-paced environment
• Accountability - Hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
• Collaboration - Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communication - Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Customer focus - Build strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
• Decision quality - Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
• Instill trust - Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Preferred: Indicate “nice to haves” regarding education, skills, and experience.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
• Microsoft Azure Dev Ops experience
• Power BI experience
• Cross functional experience between business operations and technology
Strategic / tactical / transaction: 20% Tactical / 80% Transactional
Accountability: Accountable for the completion of assigned deliverables with little day-to-day management.
Judgement: Uses judgement, but supervision required for overall task.
Influence & Impact: Meets less clearly defined demands and influences junior colleagues.
Leading & Managing: Team manager. May also be an individual contributor. Develops staff on specific projects and control deployment of resources.
If you have indicated ‘other’ in any section above, please provide more details:
The Americans with Disabilities Act
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination by employers, in compensation and employment opportunities, against qualified individuals with disabilities who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the “essential functions” of a job. A function may be essential for any of several reasons, including: the job exists to perform that function, the employee holding the job was hired for his/her expertise in performing the function, or only a limited number of employees are available to perform that function.
What You'll Get at Sallie Mae:
Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
Financial Well-being : 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
Work/Life Balance : Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
Wellness : Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. EEO is the Law Supplement. Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.
- Sallie Mae Jobs