National Grid Lead Technical Engineer - Voice Network Infrastructure Engineering in Waltham, Massachusetts
* National Grid is hiring for a Lead Technical Engineer - Voice Network Infrastructure Engineer * * for our Infrastructure and Operations department in Waltham, MA. *
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
This role will ensure that Service Delivery maintains internal technical knowledge and the architectural integrity across the service portfolio and the various suppliers of IT services to National Grid business from current to future state. Further to ensure the alignment and assurance across the designs underpinning the service offerings with the portfolio.
Responsible for determining current and future voice enterprise needs. The candidate will oversee and actively drive the development of the architecture and design of the Voice Infrastructure and Contact Center and support its implementation. Requires a bachelor's degree with at least 5-7 years of practical experience. Familiar with operational concepts, practices, and procedures so that architected solutions can be operated and maintained effectively. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
This position is responsible to provide the specialized technical skills and knowledge for the building, upgrading, configuring and maintaining National Grid’s Unified Communications services. Unified Communications includes Telephony Services (IP Telephony, Contact Center, Control Room Communications and associated systems such as call recording), Video Conferencing Services (Room Units, Desktop Video Conferencing, MSTeams, Jabber) and the overall UC Strategy that delivers these components as an integrated service.
Translates business requirements into technical solutions through reasoned application of information technology. Responsible for the low-level technical design of the Voice and UC infrastructure and implementation of these services.
• Ownership for Voice Network Infrastructure Engineering and governance model to ensure the all voice services are performing according to SLA.
• In-depth knowledge and working experience in the development of infrastructure roadmaps including: PBX, Call Manager, IP Telephony.
• Leading on the delivery and business changes of preventive and corrective maintenance working with vendors and partners to keep the infrastructure operating well.
• Deliver technical strategies, architectures and product roadmaps for National Grid’s corporate Telephony, Video Conferencing and Unified Communications (UC) infrastructure through reasoned application of information technology that meet the needs of IS and the business.
• Assists in strategic planning and recommendations to management for improvements and new technologies in the area of Telephony, Video Conferencing and Unified Communications to meet changing business requirements.
• Collaboration with the Solution delivery organizations to build understanding and awareness of operability requirements and to help shape thinking around emerging delivery methodologies to ensure the service design principles are not compromised.
• Engages with technical design and project managers, to ensure understanding of service acceptance criteria and agree processes for testing that criteria are met.
• Evaluates service improvements options for providing IT services effectively and efficiently and recommends solutions.
• Conducts post implementation reviews of information and communications technology applications and products introduced in pursuit of the strategy, to assess the extent to which expected business benefits were realized.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Must demonstrate excellent communication and facilitation skills.
• Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline or, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• 10+ years’ experience in Telephony architecture and configuration (IP Telephony required)
• In depth knowledge and experience with Cisco Communications Manager
• In depth knowledge and experience with room-based video conferencing systems
• Experience designing and configuration call center solutions
• Experience designing and configuration softphone and desktop video conferencing systems
• Understanding and experience with Skype for Business
• Understanding and experience with Webex and other conferencing platforms
• Basic understanding of WAN/LAN networking principles including QOS.
• Experience in Service Architect / Service Strategist disciplines in an IS function.
• ITIL v3 certification highly desirable
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
_ National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team. _