National Grid Lead Technical Engineer - Voice Network Infrastructure Operations in Waltham, Massachusetts
* National Grid is hiring for a Lead Technical Engineer - Voice Network Infrastucture Operations * * for our Infrastructure and Operations department in Waltham, MA. *
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
This role will ensure that Service Delivery maintains internal technical knowledge of our Voice infrastructure including the telephony services provided for the Call Center environment. National Grid currently has several PBXs (Nortel and AVAYA) as well as Cisco voice solutions supporting various critical business groups. This position will be the Service Owner responsible for the complete environment and day to day operations.
The candidate will take ownership of the support model for all telephony services provided by the Network Operations team and will act in an advisory role to projects. Requires at least 3-5 years of practical experience. Familiar with operational concepts, practices, and procedures so that architected solutions can be operated and maintained effectively. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks including, tracking and reviewing changes, troubleshooting complex problems and escalation contact for critical business stake holders. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Frequently interacts with service provider and business partners.
• Ownership for Voice Network Infrastructure Operations and governance model to ensure that all voice services are performing according to SLA.
• In-depth knowledge and working experience in the development of infrastructure roadmaps including: PBX, Call Manager, WAN, LAN, Call Flows IP Telephony and Physical Networking (Cabling, equipment installation).
• Leading on the delivery and business changes of preventive and corrective maintenance working with vendors and partners to keep the infrastructure operating well.
• The development of network hardware and software support plans focusing on market standard to maintain the expected performance and voice, video and data services.
• Collaboration with the Solution delivery organizations to build understanding and awareness of operability requirements and to help shape thinking around emerging delivery methodologies to ensure the service design principles are not compromised.
• Engages with technical design and project managers, to ensure understanding of service acceptance criteria and agree processes for testing that criteria are met.
• Examines and evaluates the quality of project outputs against the agreed acceptance criteria, to ensure correct products are produced, on schedule, fit for purpose and transitioned to operations with appropriate documentation.
• Develops own ideas, or the ideas of others, making all the necessary observations and tests and carrying them through to a full practical demonstration, wherever viable and feasible. Where necessary, designs data collection tools and techniques for both qualitative and quantitative data.
• Identifies and responds to the key business drivers and those areas of business need which are not adequately supported by current and planned IT, within the strategic planning time frame. Develops the strategic response to the business requirement and produces business cases for recommended new applications of information and communications technologies.
• Reviews business or service tickets and provides specialist advice engaging partners and vendors as required to troubleshoot and solve network, telephony and infrastructure problems.
• Engagement in major incidents to insure resolution of high priority incidents.
• Evaluates service improvements options for providing IT services effectively and efficiently and recommends solutions working with the engineering team.
• Develops models and plans for the implementation of the strategy, taking advantage of opportunities to improve business performance.
• Conducts post implementation reviews of information and communications technology applications and products introduced in pursuit of the strategy, to assess the extent to which expected business benefits were realized
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
• Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Substantial experience in Service Operations in a complex multi-vendor environment.
• Cisco CCNA/CCNP Collaboration, Routing and Switching certifications is desirable
• LAN/WAN Operations
• PBX (Nortel and AVAYA) experience
• IP Telephony Operations
• Cisco Call Manger – Experience with user related changes in CUCM, Unity, UCCE and UCCX.
• AT&T and Verizon tools to manage circuits and call routing
• Network and Telephony experience supporting a complex multi-location Call Center environment with IVR, ACD, call recording and work force management.
• Good verbal and written skills.
• Experience dealing with demanding business users
• Has thorough knowledge of network infrastructure and understanding of software defined networking.
• Tools for Network Performance Monitoring and End to End Service Assurance as Dynatrace, AppDynamics.
• The role is technical in nature. The candidate must be well versed in networking technologies such as Cisco, network routing and switching, IP telephony, network security (ACLs, firewalls, TrustSec), LAN/WAN/WLAN management, automation and monitoring tools, QOS and physical network cabling , as they relate to systems being developed and delivered.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
_ National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team. _